Literature not included in the search
This page is an auxiliary listing of (mainly) non-GM Corvair-related publications in CorvairKid's collection. Some of the items unfortunately are no longer in print. I hope this list helps you become aware of and locate publications I have found interesting and useful.
Original GM publications
The items below were originally produced by GM. I included them here because they either: cover vehicles that were successors to or contemporaries of the Corvair, reproductions of originals, sections of larger publications, or are multi-volume periodicals where I own more than one issue.
- 1962 Chevrolet Engineering Specifications, R10 (Corvair 95) section - September 8, 1961
- 1962 Chevrolet Passenger Car and Truck Unit Serial Numbers - TSB #748; September 29, 1961 (copy)
- 1963 Chevrolet seat belt instruction card - September 17, 1963 (reprint)
- 1963 1960-63 Corvair-Chevy II Parts Catalog - P&A 34, October 1, 1962 (reprint)
- 1964 Chevrolet Accessories Installation Reference Manual - P&A 15 (reprint)
- 1964 Chevrolet Engineering Specifications, R10 (Corvair 95) section - October, 1963
- 1964 Corvair & Corvair 95 prices, options, and accessories - December 15, 1963 (section)
- 1964 Corvair 95 Assembly Instructions (reprint)
- 1964-66 Chevrolet new car warranty envelope (reprint)
- 1965 Chevrolet Accessories Installation Reference Manual - P&A 15 (reprint)
- 1965 Chevrolet Trucks: Chevy-Van (successor to Corvan)
- 1965-68 Delco battery owner's service policy certificate (reprint)
- 1966 Chevrolet Accessories Installation Reference Manual - P&A 15 (reprint)
- 1966 Chevrolet AM/FM radio and stereo adapter operating instructions (reprint)
- 1966 Chevrolet Custom Features Accessories Confidential Price Schedule - P&A 32, January 1, 1966 (reprint)
- 1966 Chevrolet Engineering Specifications, Corvair section - September, 1965
- 1966 Chevrolet Service News - 11 issues (September-October 1965 through August 1966)
- 1966 Corvair Assembly Instructions (reprint)
- 1966 Corvair prices, options, and accessories - March 16, 1966 (section)
- 1966 General Motors Seat Belt Installation Instructions (service replacement)
- 1966 United Delco and Delco-Remy presents Delcotron Service Clinic: Generators, Batteries, and Regulators (filmstrip booklet)
- 1966 United Delco merchandising catalog, Bulletin 80A93 - February, 1966 (partial—missing first six pages)
- 1967 Chevrolet Parts History Index - November 1, 1966 (section—pages 1811-1908 - 2 years of coverage)
- 1967 GM Canada Product Service Bulletins (copy)
- 1969 1960-69 Corvair-Chevy II-Chevelle-Camaro Parts Catalog - P&A 34, Revision 2, February 1, 1969 (reprint)
- 1969 1967-69 GM Canada Camaro Master Parts Catalogue 691A - November, 1968 (copy)
- 1970 Chevrolet Parts History Index - November 1, 1969 (4 years of coverage) - part of P&A 30
- 1970 GM Canada #907 Maintenance Products & Standard Stock catalog - P&A 24, March, 1970 (reprint)
- March 1971 Chevrolet Service News (reprint—deals with Corvair heater)
- Chevrolet new car dealer maintenance record and folder (reprint, used several years?)
- Chevrolet new car warranty coverage summary (reprint, used several years?)
- Corvair Communiqués (complete set: V1N1 - V4N4, 1963-1966)
- Facts on the good things you'll find in a new '66 Chevy II by Chevrolet (contemporary of '66 Corvair)
- GM 2003 Classic Cars and Trucks Calendar (features a 1965 Corvair Monza convertible for July)
- Over The Counter News, Volume 5, Number 5 - November, 1965 (headline is "Donner and Roche Predict Continuation of Record Sales for 1966"
- Service Information on the New Chevy Van - 1964
Original Corvair Literature from Bob Slusher
Bob Slusher was kind enough to send me scans of a few pieces from his collection. All of these are original Chevrolet items.
Canadian Corvair Literature
Corvair Service Literature
1960 Corvair heater service (filmstrip book)
1961 Corvair 95 collision repair (filmstrip book)
1961 Corvair Powerglide service (filmstrip book)
Official CORSA magazines and newsletters
I am very lucky to have a complete set of original Corvair Society of America (CORSA) magazines and newsletters. Below is a genealogy of these publications.
There have been many different official CORSA publications over the years. From its inception until September of 1978, there were two basic types of publications:
- A monthly plain-paper newsletter, which focused on topics such as administrative news, local chapter news, cars and parts for sale, and tech topics.
- A quarterly glossy magazine, which focused on feature-length articles.
The monthly newsletter changed names several times while the magazine was always known as the CORSA Quarterly. Beginning in September 1978, the two publications were combined into one publication, the CORSA Communique. This change coincided with CORSA's hiring of its first paid management and publication staff. Until that time, administration and publication work was done by an all-volunteer staff. Publication costs were paid by CORSA but not staff labor.
Note that there are few years where the monthly publication (both the CORSA Communiqués and the CORSA Communique) published fewer than twelve issues. This occurred for a variety of reasons—change of staff, publication problems, etc. The issue numbering convention for a skipped issue has not been consistent. Therefore, the volume and issue numbers for all articles indexed below are given, in addition to the month and year published.
Name of Publication
Volume / Issue
Month(s) / Year(s)
1 - 4
1969 - 19702
December 1970/January 1971
V1N4 - V3N4
March/April 1971 - October 1972
V3N5 - V9N8
November 1972 - August 1978
V1N1 - V7N4
January (Winter) 1971 - Summer 1978
V1N1 - Present
September 1978 - Present
1 These newsletters had the issue numbers in their titles, e.g. "Preliminary Newsletter #1". Issue 4 had two titles: the normal one on the first page of content and "CORSA News 4 -Preliminary-" on a separate cover page.
2 The only one of these four newsletters with any kind of date is #3, which has "April" on the first page at the top. Also, my copy of this issue is postmarked May 26, 1970. My copies of the other three newsletters are not postmarked.
Index of Tech Topics
Mike Kellstrand and I collaborated on an index of the tech topics from the Communique through 1998. The index is a nice way to more quickly find what you're looking for. Note that many of the most-useful topics are re-published in the CORSA Tech Guide, currently in its newly-expanded third version. It would be nice if someone would volunteer to bring the index up to date (1998 and later).
Corvanatics, the official CORSA chapter devoted to forward control Corvairs (Corvans, Greenbriers, Loadsides, and Rampsides), has published Corvan Antics, their newsletter, at least four times per year since 1972. I have a complete set of the newsletters. My set is a mixture of originals and copies purchased from the organization.
Technical and restoration-related publications
- The 1960-1969 Corvair Authenticity Series, Wayne Machan & Bill Bruggen, © 1991
- 1961-65 Corvair Truck crash repair sheets from Motor's Crash Book Service, © April, 1965 & April, 1969
- 1966 Corvair Electrical Tune-Up Charts (set of four), Sun Electric Corporation
- The Care and Feeding of Your Corvair, Corvairs of New Mexico, © 1995 (2rd printing)
- Chevrolet Service News compendium for 1965-69 Corvairs (Clark's Corvair #C6962)
- Chilton's Repair & Tune-Up Guide: Corvair, © 1971
- The Classic Corvair, Bob Helt, © 2001-2017 (tenth edition)
- Converting Corvair Engines for Use in Experimental Aircraft, William E. Wynne, © 1999
- The Corv-8: America's Original Mid-Engine Super Car, Greg Riley, © 2005
- Corvair 95 paint codes (compendium provided by Corvanatics)
- Corvair 95 paint and trim combinations (compendium provided by Corvanatics)
- Corvair... A History and Restoration Guide, Bill Artzberger, © 1984
- The Corvair Junkyard Primer, compiled by Larry Scrivener, second edition (no copyright date given)
- Corvair Owners Handbook of Maintenance & Repair, Clymer Publications, © 1965
- Corvair Secrets, Bob Helt, © 2005 (third edition)
- Corvair Technical Guide, Larry Claypool & Clay Wispell, editors, © 1986-96 (updated)
- Corvair Wheel Alignment, Frederick Johnson, © 1976 (6th printing)
- How to Air Condition Any Corvair Vehicle, Richard Finch, © 2003
- How to Identify and Rebuild Carter YH Carburetors Used on Corvair Turbocharged Engines, Bob Helt, © 2010
- How to Identify and Rebuild Corvair Rochester Carburetors, Bob Helt, © 2006-2017
- How to Keep Your Corvair Alive!, Richard Finch, © 1986
- How to Select and Install Turbochargers, Hugh MacInnes, © 1971
- Prevent Rust Outs and Leaks (Clark's Corvair #C24)
- Solo Is..., Warren LeVeque, © 2001 (autographed copy)
- Stop Corvair Lubricant Leaks, Frederick Johnson, © 1979
- The Ultimate Guide to Vairs with Air: A Specialty Technical Manual, Greg Riley, © 2003
- Vair Tips, San Diego Corvair Club, V1 (1974) - V13 (1986); includes indexes published in 1982 and 1985
- Yenko Stinger Tech Manual, Yenko Sportscars, © March, 1967
Historical publications and books
- 1969 Corvair Finger Tip Facts, Mark Ellis & Dave Newell, © 1996
- 1969 Corvair Finger Tip Facts, Mark Ellis & Dave Newell, © 1999 (30th anniversary edition)
- 1969 Corvair Finger Tip Facts Roster, Mark Ellis & Dave Newell, © 1999
- Air-Cooled Motor Engines, Julius Mackerle, M.E. (English translation by K. Čáslavský, © 1961 (1st printing)
- Assassination of the Corvair, Andrew White, © 1969 (1st printing)
- Automobile Quarterly, Vol. 1 No. 3, © 1962 ("By Corvair through Rugged Jungle Paths of Panama" & Automobile Quarterly's Award for Design Excellence Presented to the 1962 Corvair Super Spyder"
- Automobile Quarterly, Vol. 2 No. 2, © 1963 ("The GT Car [Monza GT]"
- Automobile Quarterly, Vol. 3 No. 3, © 1964 ("GM's Prototype for Production [Monza SS]"
- Automobile Quarterly, Vol. 8 No. 4, © 1970 ("Remember the Corvair? Here's a Look at What We Lost" & "A Corvair Gallery"
- Automobile Quarterly, Vol. 20 No. 3, © 1982 ("M-3 Tanks, The Lakeshore Hotel and Corvair: An Interview with Ed Cole"
- Automobile Quarterly, Vol. 33 No. 3, © 1994 ("Build Me Something Different! The Bittersweet Tale of the Corvair"
- Car and Driver, June 1966 (Yenko Stinger review)
- Chevrolet Corvair 1959-1969, compiled by R.M. Clarke, no copyright date
- The Chevrolet Corvair Photo History, Monty Montgomery, © 2004
- Chrome Colossus: General Motors and Its Times, Ed Cray, © 1980
- Corvair Affair, Mike Knepper, © 1982
- Corvair by Chevrolet: Experimental & Production Cars 1957 - 1969, Ludvigsen Library Ltd., © 2001
- The Corvair Decade, Tony Fiore, © 1980
- Corvair Guide, Hans Tanner, © 1965
- Corvair Performance Handbook, OCee Ritch with Don Francisco, Bernard Cahier, Jerry Titus, Jim Wright, and John Lawlor, © 1963 Petersen Publishing Company (Hot Rod Magazine Technical Library)
- Corvair Performance Portfolio 1959-69, compiled by R.M. Clarke, no copyright date
- A Custom Mirror for the 1961 Corvair 95, Coronado Manufacturing Company (model 660-91)
- Devin brochure, undated but thought to be 1963
- Don Yenko and the Yenko Stinger, Charlie "Bud" Doerge, © October 2011 (website)
- Evaluation of the 1960-63 Corvair Handling and Stability, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, July 1972, report #HS-820 198 / PB 211 015
- The Fitch Phoenix: A Limited Edition (invitation to unveiling in NYC), 1966
- Fitch Sprint packet, 1965
- Fitch Sprint packet, 1966
- Fitch Sprint catalog, 1967
- Fitch Sprint catalog, 1969
- Glenn Pray: The Man Who Brought Legends to Life, Josh B. Malks, © 2007
- Hit & Run: The Rise—and Fall?—of Ralph Nader, Ralph de Toledano, © 1975
- How to Hotrod Corvair Engines, Bill Fisher, © 1969 (revised edition)
- How to Lift the 1960 Chevrolet Corvair on Globe Hoists, Globe Hoist Company, © 1959
- The (in)Compleat Corvair Story, Dave Newell, © 1979
- The Investigation of Ralph Nader, Thomas Whiteside, © 1972
- Panel Evaluation of the NHTSA Approach to the 1960-1963 Corvair Handling and Stability, General Testing Laboratories, Inc., January 1972, report #HS-800 676 / PB 211 014
- Performance Corvairs: How to Hotrod the Corvair Engine and Chassis, Seth Emerson and Bill Fisher, © 2013
- The Phoenix: America's First Rear-Engined Sports Car, 1966
- Phoenix by Fitch: Delightfully Different, "Wickedly Beautiful", 1966
- Unsafe at Any Speed, Ralph Nader, © 1965
- The Yenko Era: A scrapbook of stories, recollections, and the occasional fact..., Mark Gillespie, 2006
- The Yenko Stinger brochure, Yenko Sportscars, 1966
Below are a few items that don't seem to fit in any of the other categories but might once a few years pass.
- Chevrolet Los Angeles (Van Nuys plant) annual outing (1965) pocket knife
- Chevrolet Los Angeles (Van Nuys plant) annual outing (August 15, 1966) drinking glass
- Cordially Yours... (Cord Sportsman brochure)
- Corvair Club of America membership card (unsigned) and decal
- Corvair Returns to Ypsilanti! (program from Corvair Preservation Foundation's Corvair Museum Grand Opening Celebration at the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Collection, August 25, 2002)
- Ever see a guy enter a bend talking European and come out speaking American? Corvair by Chevrolet (Corvair magazine ad from 1965)
- Gentlemen of General Motors, Scharchburg et al., © 2000 (produced by McVey Marketing & Advertising—not officially endorsed by GM)
- GM Switzerland game Fahre ohne Sorge: Traffic das grosse Verkehrsspiel, featuring 1966 Monza sedan on cover
- GM Switzerland grille badges (one each, early and late '60s)
- Hein-Werner catalog 162, May 1966
- Lost Cause ceremony invitation (program from 2004 CORSA International convention where Jeff and Toni Barrett unveiled the restored Lost Cause prototype)
- Mostly Motorsports 2000 flyer signed by Jerry Thompson (of Yenko Stinger fame)
- Racin' Adventures and Tropical Tales (program from Corvair Preservation Foundation presentation at 2000 CORSA convention)
- Solar Cavalier promotional kit (cover letter, catalog, ordering form, & newsletter)
- SS 396 (side 1) and Corvair Baby (side 2), Paul Revere & The Raiders, © 1966 Columbia Records (45 RPM single, labeled "Complimentary Copy" and "Licensed for Broadcast" by "Columbia Special Products"